FAQ’S Building and Codes

1. When do I need a building permit?

2012 IRC Section R105.1 Required.

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter,repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarger, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any gas, mechanical or plumbing systems, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

2. Do I need a set of plans?

Yes, If the structure is over 2500 sq ft.

3. Do I need a building permit for a mobile home, manufactured or modular home?

Yes, refer to “When do I need a residential building permit” question number 1.

4. Why do I need a building permit?

In a word Safety- your safety, and that of your family, visitors, guest and future property owners.

5. Where do I apply for a building permit?

Apply in person, at the Department of Building and Codes, 308 North 3rd Street Kingston, TN 37763

6. What is my property zoned?

To determine your zone we will need the physical address and or map and parcel for the property in question.

7. What type of payments are accepted?

Check, Cash or Money Order. Sorry we do not accept debit or credit cards at this time.

8. What time will my inspection be?

Once it is called in your inspection will be set up for the following day.

9. What time should I call to request an inspection?

Regular office hours are between 8:30am-4:00 pm Monday- Friday

10. When can I speak to an inspector?

Between 8:30am -9:00am being the best time, or leave a message and someone will return your call.

11. What is the penalty for failing to obtain the proper permit?

Where construction of any work for which a permit is required or commenced before a permit is issued, the permit fees shall be doubled.

12. How long is a building permit valid?

R105.5. Expiration. Every permit issued shall become invalid unless the work authorized by such permit is commenced with 180 days after its issuance, or if the work authorized by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the time is commenced. The building official is authorized to grant, in writhing, one or more extensions of time, for periods not more than 180 days each. The extension shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause demonstrated.

13. Am I required to obtain a permit to build a fence?

Yes, if over seven (7) feet tall in height.

14. Am i required to obtain a permit for a swimming pool?

Yes, all swimming pools, hot tubs and spas that contain over twenty-four inches (24) of water required to obtain a building permit.

15. Do I need a permit for a storage building?

Yes-If the storage building is over two hundred (200)sq.ft. A permit is required even if you purchase the building from a lot and the structure is not on a permanent foundation. All accessory structures require a site plan showing all detached structures on the property, the location of septic tank and lines, utility lines, house and property lines.

It is recommended that you consult your subdivision covenants or deed restrictions, which may address the location and exterior finish of detached structures allowed within your particular subdivision. Roane County does not enforce subdivision covenants.

16. How do I know if I’m dealing with a reputable contractor?

Number One-Are they licensed? Tennessee law requires that a general contractor or home improvement contractor be licensed if value is over 25,000. Ask to see proof!

Do they Have insurance? In most cases, State law requires that they carry workers compensation insurance. Ask to see a Certification of Insurance.

Ask to see some identification . Be sure you know the correct name of the individual you are dealing with;her address, and telephone number(s).

Ask for at least two references-and check them out!

Make sure all agreements are in writing! Be sure to reduce all change orders, or contract amendments to writing.

Make absolutely sure they obtain the required building permits-can call for and pass the required codes inspections! Make sure the building permit is conspicuously before the work begins, and be sure you are furnished with Certification of Occupancy Certificate issued by the Codes Department, before making final payment of the contract amount.

17. Where can I buy a code book?

First, determine “which’ codes book, or books. Be sure to note the correct “edition” that applies to your building project. Roane County is under the 2012 IRC and IBC. You can purchase a code book directly from ICC www.iccsafe.org. Copies of the currently adopted codes can be view (free of charge) at the office of Build Codes of some of your local book stores.

18. Where can I get an electrical permit?

Check with your local providers. Utilities in Roane County

19. How can I apply for a septic permit?
Applications are provided at the office of Building and Codes, 308 North 3rd Street Kingston, TN 37763. Office: 865-717-0695, Fax 865-717-4176, Statewide:1-888-891-8332 or visit: http://tn.gov/environment
20. Do I need a driveway permit?

Yes, call Roane County Highway Department, 3070 Roane County Hwy, Harriman TN.
Office: 865-882-9782

21.Do I need a burn permit?

Possibly, contact the Roane County Division of Forestry at 865-354-1054 or got to www.burnsafetn.org