Molyneux Chevrolet Company

{Robert Bailey – Roane County Historian}

The Molyneux Chevrolet Company was founded by John Molyneux and his son Harry Molyneux, in 1916 in Rockwood as the City Garage. Its name was changed in 1928 to the Molyneux Chevrolet Company, and it was recognized as the first Chevrolet dealer in Tennessee and one of the first in the South. John Molyneux was born in Bolton, England in 1853 and came to America in 1881, settling in Morgan County. He moved to Rockwood in 1906. He was also the founder of the Molyneux Lumber Company in Rockwood. In 1935 Frigidaire appliances and RCA radios were added to the business, along with Speed Queen Washers.

Molyneux Lumber Company 1939

Molyneux Chevrolet Company

Originally written for the Roane County Newsletter to the Community, July 2015.