We are operating under the fiscal 2019 Budget. Thank you to the Roane County Budget Committee members: Darryl Meadows, Carolyn Granger, James Brummett, and Mike Hooks for their hard work on the fiscal 2019 budget. Many improvements have been made over the years in budget planning and preparation with the county establishing a solid financial foundation to help make long-term decisions. The Budget Committee held a public hearing, followed by a budget committee meeting and finally a County Commission work session. The County Commission unanimously approved the Appropriation Resolution and Tax Resolution.
Some highlights of the budget include:
- A 2% raise for general government employees
- Approval of the Seventh Capital Improvement Plan for the general government
- A continuation of the multi-year debt budgets
- Allocation of funds to purchase the final property for the jail improvement project
- Plans for a Rockwood ambulance station
Topics of Continued Deliberation Include:
- We anticipate the school improvement plan discussion will continue in the coming months
- The Wheel Tax will be considered on the November ballot
The county continues to purchase assets from current revenue instead of debt financing. This allows for the necessary replacements of ambulances and patrol cars as they approach obsolescence. Stay tuned to further Roane County Newsletters, as we will be announcing further improvements budgeted for the Office of Emergency Services and animal control.