Tag Archives: Cleveland Tennessee

Florence E. and B.J. Campbell

{Robert Bailey, County Historian}
Prof. B.J. Campbell – Prof. B.J. Campbell was born in Cleveland, Tennessee and died Jan 24, 1926. When young he moved with his parents to Knoxville and later he taught in the city schools of Knoxville. He married Florence E. Smith in 1893 and moved to Harriman and became principal of the Harriman Colored School for about fifteen years. In 1914, Prof. Campbell and his wife moved to Rockwood, and he became the principal of the Rockwood Colored High School, and she became a teacher there. The Rockwood Colored High School later became Campbell High School (which was named after him) and was the only high school for all black students in Roane County.

His wife, Florence E. Smith (1872-1922) was the first black teacher in Harriman having come to Harriman in 1891. She was born in Canada and was convinced to come to Harriman from Maryland to teach by her father, John A. Smith, who came to Harriman in 1890 because he was a strong prohibitionist.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Originally written for the Roane County Newsletter to the Community, December 2018 and February 2016.

The War of 1812 Plaque

{Robert Bailey – Roane County Historian}

Located on the Southside wall of the old courthouse is a plaque to the memory of the War of 1812 soldiers who enlisted here in Roane County. The following article about the dedication of the marker is from The Rockwood Times, Thursday, November 30, 1933:

Marker Honors Heroes of 1812. Speaker Heard, Tablet Is Unveiled At Kingston. Friday afternoon at 2:00 o’clock a bronze memorial tablet was placed on the south front to the courthouse in Kingston by the Tennessee Daughters of the War of 1812 and Roane county as a lasting and fitting tribute to the soldiers that served in that great war. The beautiful tablet bears the following inscription: “To the Glory of God and in loving memory of the American soldiers and sailors of the War of 1812 who enlisted here, this tablet is erected by the Tennessee National Society United States Daughters of 1812 and the Court of Roane County.”

Music for the program was furnished by the Rockwood Drum and Bugle Corps. The invocation was given by Rev. George S. Jarman, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Kingston, and Mrs. Margaret Ervin Ford gave the Pledge to the Flag. Following the pledge, Mrs. W.H. illaur (sic), ( Sic is a Latin word meaning “thus” or “just as”. It is used to show that the word (in this case, “illaur“) president of the Alexander Doran Chapter of Cleveland, presented the marker to the state president and Roane County. It was unveiled by Peggy Lillard and Margaret Smith. Major James F. Corn, of Cleveland, made the historical address and gave the vivid description of the battle of New Orleans. James F. Littleton accepted the marker in behalf of the county, and in an appropriate address giving the following account of how volunteers were enlisted in Kingston for this war.

Lieutenant Uriah Allison placed a drum in front of the courthouse on the head of which were placed new silver dollars, and as the marchers, headed by a 10-year-old fifer boy, marched around the drum, those who wanted to enlist took a dollar and were then enrolled. There were about fifty men enlisted to serve through the war, which they did, and afterward came back to Roane County. A large number of the leading families of the county are descendants of these heroes.

The War of 1812 Plaque

Originally written for the Roane County Newsletter to the Community,  April 2017.