Tag Archives: Kingston Steam Plant

Owen’s Airport

{Robert Bailey – Roane County Historian}

Located in the Swan Pond community near the present day site of the Kingston Steam Plant, Owen’s Airport was one of the first airports in Roane County. It was started in 1928 by Edgar Owen. He had purchased an old jenny which had been sold as war surplus by the government and began flying out of a field which became known as Owen’s Airport. Among the “adventures” that were provided were flights for passengers, parachute jumping, air shows among other things. When Watts Bar Dam was built in the 1940s, part of the field was flooded which ended flying at this location.

Originally written for the Roane County Newsletter to the Community, July 2016.