Tag Archives: Paint Rock

Rules for Teachers in 1872

{Robert Bailey – Roane County Historian}

One can see that the job for a teacher in the 1800s involved many things besides teaching by this list of “Rules for Teachers” which was dated 1872. If a woman got married, then she had to quit being a teacher. It is not known when this policy stopped. One can also see the different ways that female teachers were treated as opposed to male teachers. The rules were: Paint Rock School below

1) Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys.

2) Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day’s session.

3) Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupils.

4) Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly.

5) After ten hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining evening time reading the Bible or other good books.

6) Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.

7) Every teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden on society.

8) Any teacher who smokes uses liquor in any form frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his intention, integrity, and honesty.

9) The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of twenty-five cents per week in his pay providing the Board of Education approves.

Originally written for the Roane County Newsletter to the Community, January 2018.

Watts Bar TVA Grave Removal

{Robert Bailey – Roane County Historian}

In preparation for the building of Watts Bar Dam, some single graves and entire cemeteries were removed because those areas would be flooded by the backwaters created by Watts Bar Dam. To move the graves, TVA required a family member to approve the grave to be moved. If no relative was found or the family did not wish for the graves to be removed, TVA left the graves there, and they were covered by the backwaters. Two cemeteries, the Jackson Cemetery, and the Perry Cemetery, both located in the Tennessee River, are now located on islands. In the Jackson Cemetery (located across from Boyd Woody’s house) there are 35 graves, and in the Perry Cemetery (which is located on Thief Neck Island) there are six graves. In all, about 100 graves were moved. The most graves that were removed from a single cemetery were forty-seven graves which were located in the Kendrick Cemetery near the New Hope Community. The graves that were removed from the various cemeteries were relocated to several different cemeteries. Some were removed to the Oak Grove Cemetery in Rockwood, Luminary Cemetery (South of the River), Eagle Furnace Cemetery, and Cedar Grove Church Cemetery near Paint Rock among others. Some graves were removed to cemeteries in Rhea and Meigs County. New roads were also created to provide access to other cemeteries in which the old roads were covered.

Originally written for the Roane County Newsletter to the Community, June 2017.