P.O. Box 643
Kingston, TN 37763
(865) 376-5578 office
(865) 717-4215 fax
Ron Woody, County Executive
Consultant to various departments
Title, Authority, and Responsibility
The County Executive is the chief financial officer of the county. He is sometimes referred to as fiscal agent. In recent years some counties have changed the title to County Mayor. Whether County Executive or County Mayor, chief financial official or fiscal agent, the authority and duties remain the same, that being financial management:
- He signs or co-signs all county checks.
- He may examine the accounts of the county officers to verify each item of expenditure or revenue.
- He audits all claims for money against the county.
- He has a strong role in the budgetary process and presents the consolidated budget for each fiscal year to the county budget committee and to the county legislative body.
- He or a designated representative serves as a nonvoting, ex officio member of each committee of the county legislative body and of each board, commission or authority of the county government.
Departments Under the County Executive’s Direction
- Accounts and Budgets Department
- Animal Control
- Building Codes Enforcement and Zoning
- Office of Emergency Services
- Parks and Recreation
- Purchasing Department
- Roane County Solid Waste
- Veterans’ Service Office
During my career of working in and with county governments as either an employee or consultant, I discovered that often times we are overwhelmed by the many different demands and challenges that face us each and every day. It appeared to me that our organization frequently became stale in the direction, management, and focus on goals and objectives we hoped to accomplish. With these thoughts in mind, I focused during the campaign on a 5-Point Star System of management which would give our administration some direction for the future.
The current five points are: (updated January 2017)
1. Budget 2018 (35)
2. Long-Term Capital Planning (36)
3. Recreation (8 & 32)
4. Heritage Center Development (Re: Industrialize of K-25) (33)
5. Future Jail Planning (38)
As we review our five focus points we are making the following changes:
- Replacing Budget 2017
- Replacing Emergency Management
- Replacing Recreation
- Replacing Industrial Development
- Replacing Administration
For more detailed information on previous, and current focus points see
Budget Reference Notebook (BRN)
The Accounting and Budget Department is preparing a new document for our Commission and taxpayers to assist in understanding our government operations. This document is a precursor to Roane County’s submission of the budget to GFOA for the Distinguished Budget Presentation awards program for fiscal 2015.