Tony Brashears, Director
Roane County Solid Waste and Recycling Center
The Roane County Landfill is Closed. The Roane County Solid Waste Department has operated as a Recycling Center since 1998, about four years after the facility went into post-closure.
The main facility has three (3) compactor units for household garbage, household clean-out, and small household jobs, There is one open-top container for construction material such as shingles, Sheetrock, vinyl siding, tile, and other bulky items.
ROANE COUNTY RECYCLING HUB
Hours of Operation:
Facility Hours: Monday – Saturday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Office Hours: Monday- Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
The Recycling Center will be closed Monday, February 20, 2023 in observation of President’s Day. Convenience centers will operate per regular operational hours.
The Recycling Center is closed on all legal holidays.
Please note: Roane County does not accept glass bottles and jars for recycling. Please place glass in with regular household trash.
Did you know that…..
- You can call 1-888-335- Dump to report illegal dumping?
- We only accept solid waste that is generated in Roane County.
- The convenience centers DO NOT accept solid waste from businesses.
- We DO NOT accept hazardous waste (See information about our annual Household Hazardous Waste Event sponsored by TDEC.)
- We DO NOT accept medical waste (See information about our annual Household Hazardous Waste Event sponsored by TDEC.)
- We DO NOT accept accept dead animals.
- Some items not taken at the convenience centers may be accepted at the Recycling Center located at 215 White Pine Road in Harriman. Call 865-590-7779 with any questions.
Do we accept tires?
When you purchase new tires, you pay the dealers a disposal fee. You leave your old tires with the dealer. If you are responsible for disposal of the tires, you may bring the tires to the Recycling Center. You are responsible for “stacking” tires inside a tractor trailer. Employees do not unload or stack tires for you, so you may need to bring someone to help you.
Tire dealers Must have the Sate Tire Manifest paperwork and Tire and Tax Number from the State of Tennessee. This number is different from your business Tax Identification Number. You must have this information each time you bring tires. Call before bringing tires to ensure we have room in the tractor trailer.
Charges Applied to Materials:
- Commercial Garbage-$75 per ton
- Construction and Demolition-$75 per ton
- Brush and Wood-$75 per ton
- Tires- $100 per ton
- Tires (State Manifested Dealers)-$30 per ton
- Mattress and Box Springs-$25
- Television-$5 per TV
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs (Residential Only)
- Mulch-$5 per scoop
- Furniture and Large Items- $45 per ton
- Non-Manifested Tires- $100 per ton
Roane County Convenience Centers
The Roane County Convenience Centers are open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, & Saturday.
7:30am to 5:30pm **MUST BE UNLOADED BY 5:25″
The main recycle center in Midtown has the same Holidays as County Employees. Please see the 2023 Calendar located on the upper right hand side of the page for closure dates. All Convenience Centers are closed on Wednesday and Sunday.
Roane County Convenience Centers are for residential use only. No commercial or business waste will be accepted.
Recycle Materials Accepted
- Used Motor Oil and Antifreeze
- Plastic (Milk Jugs, Drink Bottles, Detergent Bottles)
- Mixed Paper
- Scrap Metal
Other Solid Waste Accepted:
- Household Garbage
- Paint (MAX 10 GALLONS) (Accepted at Post Oak Convenience Center every Tuesday from 7:30am to 5:00pm and latex and oil based paints from residents only)
Convenience Center Locations
Roane County has a total of 12 convenience center across the county. Located in the upper right hand corner of the page you will find a map of all convenience center locations and a separate page with just location addresses.