- For providing these services, the Roane County Clerk’s Office collects $4.00 in addition to all state fees (T.C.A. § 55-50-331 (a)). State fees vary according to the service required and the number of duplicates previously issued.
- A new picture will be required when you come in for ANY service offered in the Clerk’s Office even if you just recently had a new photo made for your driver license or ID Only license. This is for basic fraud protection required by our contract with the State of Tennessee.
- You will be issued a paper interim license to carry with you until you receive the new license in the mail. Generally the new license is received within approximately 2 to 3 weeks from the date of service.
- We do return your “old” license to you so it may be carried along with the paper interim license as some agencies (such as airlines) may not accept the paper license only.
- If you do not receive the hard copy of your driver’s license within 30 business days of issuance, you must email Online.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For security purposes the hard copy is printed through an out-of-state secure printing facility and NOT by Nashville or the local license offices.
- The County Clerk offices cannot reissue the license without charging another duplicate fee and taking a new photo.
- A summary of the services provided by the County Clerk’s contract with the State of Tennessee, Department of Safety and Homeland Security includes:
1. Renewal of Tennessee drivers licenses
2. Making duplicate Tennessee drivers licenses
3. Registering people to vote as allowed under the motor voter law (i.e. at the time of applying for a duplicate or renewal)
4. Updating and issuing the Real ID licenses when all required Federal documentation is provided by the driver.
First Time applicants for a Tennessee Driver License or State ID, including new residents, and those wishing to add an endorsement or to upgrade or add another license class to their Driver License must visit one of the Department of Safety & Homeland Security Driver Service Center Locations for processing of those services.
The Roane County Driver Services Center is located in Rockwood and would be the closest location for New Residents, Original ID Issuance and Testing Services.
Details of Driver License Services Available at Roane County Clerk Office
Replacement Driver License or Photo Identification Card
You may replace your Tennessee Class ‘D’ Driver License or Photo ID Card at the County Clerk’s Offices at the Courthouse in Kingston. If your driver license has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you may be eligible to obtain a replacement online, using your current license photo without needing to visit an office. You may also obtain a replacement by applying in person at the County Clerk Office. If your lost license will expire within the next 12 months, you may choose to renew the license rather than just get a duplicate license. If your license is set to expire in less than six (6) months, you must renew your license.
- Obtaining a replacement license does not change the expiration date of the original issued license.
- The fee for a first duplicate/replacement license including the $4 Clerk Fee is $12.
- 2nd and Subsequent Duplicates: If you have received a duplicate/replacement Driver License since your last renewal the fee including the $4 Clerk Fee is $16.
- You MAY BE ABLE to get a duplicate of your Commercial Driver License (CDL) if it is not time for updates to your medical card and/or it is not within 12 months of the license expiration date. The system will not allow the County Clerk to select the transaction if there are issues with your status, medical card or other CDL related requirements and you will be advised to visit one of the state Driver Services Centers.
- Fees for CDL Duplicates are slightly higher than those for regular Driver License or Photo ID Cards. Fees including the $4 Clerk Fee for CDL Duplicates are: 1st Duplication =$16; 2nd & Subsequent Duplicates = $20.
- If you are changing the address on a CDL license you will need to provide two (2) acceptable proofs of domicile. All documents must include a Tennessee residential address–the SAME residential address must be on each document presented. No photocopies accepted!
Acceptable CDL Domicile Documents:
- Current utility bill including landline telephone, electric, water, gas, cable, etc. (Wireless telephone bills cannot be accepted).
- Current vehicle registration (personal vehicle not company vehicle) dated within the last 12 months.
- TN vehicle title showing TN address (but can’t use a title and vehicle registration as both proofs).
- Mortgage papers – such as the property deed or mortgage payment coupon/book.
- Copy of Lease Agreement or Contract with notarized signatures OR accompanied by signed realty agency letterhead confirming lease validity.
- Voter registration card – NOT the application for voter registration.
- Military LES papers listing Tennessee as home of record.
- Current filed tax return – not tax return booklet. NOTE: E-filed returns must include the W2 form AND confirmation page and are acceptable only if dated within the last 12 months.
For additional information on CDL’s visit the Driver Services webpage here.
- If you do not yet have a Real ID License (Gold Star) you are encouraged to bring the required documents so that we may issue your duplicate as a Real ID License. This will save you an additional duplicate fee if you choose to wait until later to obtain a Real ID.
- If an eye exam is needed to remove a restriction, you will need to visit a state office as our offices only process driver license renewals and duplicates. County Clerks are not allow to remove restriction or to add endorsements or upgrade license classes.
Driver License or Photo Identification Card Renewals
The Department of Safety and Homeland Security mails every driver a courtesy renewal notice approximately six to eight weeks before their license expiration date. If you have a change of address and fail to notify the Tennessee Department of Safety, your Driver License Renewal Notice will not be forwarded. You can go to the Roane County Clerk’s Office at the Courthouse in Kingston and have your renewal processed as long has you do not hold a Commercial Driver License (CDL). CDL holders MUST renew at a state Driver Services Center.
READ YOUR RENEWAL NOTICE CAREFULLY. There are basically three ways to renew a driver license, which will be explained on your renewal notice.
- If you have a current valid photo license, you may renew by mail or renew online and receive an updated license re-using your current photo.
- If you have certain types of licenses or you have not updated your license photo in several years, your renewal notice will direct you to go to your nearest driver services center to have a new photograph made.
NOTE: When your license expires, you are no longer entitled to drive a vehicle or motorcycle and will be subject to the same penalties as someone who has never been licensed.
Address Changes on Driver License or Photo Identification Cards
YOU MUST NOTIFY THE DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY AND HOMELAND SECURITY OF A CHANGE IN ADDRESS. You are required to notify the Driver Services Division of any address change within 10 days of that change. This includes when you physically relocate or address changes made by the United States Postal Service or your local 9-1-1 Emergency Communications District when you have not physically relocated. Notifying postal authorities will not provide the information to the Driver Services Division. By failing to notify us, you could miss the renewal date of your license.
- Your license must show your legal residential address. A post office box will not be accepted as a residential address.
- You MAY use a PO Box as a separate mailing/mail-to address but NOT as your physical address.
- The law does not require the address to be changed on your actual license, just in the state files.
- There is no fee to change your address in the Driver Services Division system by mail or online update.
There are several convenient ways to change your address with the Driver Services Division including the following:
- Online e-Services Portal: Visit the e-Services portal and complete the required information fields by clicking here.
- Select “Change Your Address” from the list of available services and follow the prompts.
- If you would like a new license that reflects the address changes made, return to the list of available services and renew your license or order a duplicate license if you are not within your renewal period.
- Once the transaction is complete and any associated fee is paid, a new license will be mailed to your updated address.
- At a Self-Services Kiosk: Find a Self-Service Kiosk near you by clicking here.
- Follow the kiosk’s on-screen prompts to update your address.
- If you would like a license that reflects changes made, begin a new transaction and renew your license or order a duplicate license if you are not within your renewal period.
- Once the transaction is complete and any associated fee is paid, a new license will be mailed to your updated address.
- By mail: To update your record with your new address by mail, you will need to provide the following information:
- Full name and Date of birth
- Driver License Number
- Social Security Number
- Old address that appears on current driver license
- New address
- County of your new address
Mail address change notification that includes the above information or change of address form to:
TN DEPT OF SAFETY AND HOMELAND SECURITY
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, TN 37243
After the Department receives your information, your driving record will be updated within approximately 15 business days.
- In Person: If you wish to have a new photo license issued with the new address you may visit the Roane County Clerk’s Office at the Courthouse in Kingston and pay the required fees and get a new photo taken. You will receive a paper interim license and your new hard copy license will be mailed to the new address in approximately 2 to 3 weeks.
- If you are changing the address on a CDL license you will need to provide two (2) acceptable proofs of domicile. (See above or visit the Driver Services webpage here for more information on CDL domicile proof.
- If you do not yet have a Real ID License (Gold Star) you are encouraged to bring the required documents so that we may issue your address change duplicate as a Real ID License. This will save you an additional duplicate fee if you choose to wait until later to obtain a Real ID.
Name Changes on Driver License or Photo Identification Cards
The Roane County Clerk’s Office is authorized to make limited name changes for LAST NAME ONLY. If your last name is changed by marriage or divorce you may request the new license at the Clerk’s Office. If your full name needs to be changed; your middle name needs corrected; or you need a suffix added or removed you will be required to visit a Driver Services Center.
- You must appear in person to make changes to your name.
- You will be charged a duplicate fee ranging from $12 dollars to $20 dollars. The fee will depend on the number of duplicates you’ve had and the class of license you have.
- You will need your current license and the original or certified document showing the reason for the change; for example: An original or certified marriage certificate, original or certified copy of your divorce decree, or the original court order.
- Change by Divorce: As recorded in the FINAL court decree with judge’s original signature and/or official court seal.
- A copy of the court document with copied seal/signature is not acceptable.
- Only the court document with an original signature/seal that is affixed to copy is acceptable.
- Change by Marriage: The certificate must be the original or certified copy that is registered AFTER the marriage; NOT just the “license” authorizing the union or the “church” certificate.
- The certificate presented must have the County Clerk’s seal and certification (or other government agency if from out of state) and can NOT be a photo copy.
PLEASE NOTE: All documents are subject to verification with the issuing agency or source. Documents subject to verification may delay the issuance of your driver license or identification only license.
Real ID Issuance of Driver License or Photo Identification Cards IS Available at Roane County Clerk
Beginning May 3, 2023, all persons must have a REAL ID license for accessing certain Federal buildings, entering nuclear facilities, and boarding commercial flights within the United States.
- Access to Federal buildings does not include post offices, social security offices or federal courthouses, HOWEVER it would include several facilities in our area such as:
- The “plants” in Oak Ridge (Y-12, ORNL, Watt’s Bar Nuclear Plant or military bases). Meaning if you have a contractor job that requires you to work at these type locations you could be refused access after May 3, 2023.
- To board a commercial airline after May 3, 2023 you would be required to have a valid US Passport or federal/military ID Card. Currently the valid US Passport is only required for travel outside the country but after the deadline it would be required to fly from Atlanta to Florida if you don’t have the “Real ID Star” on your driver license.
- You do NOT need a REAL ID compliant driver license or Photo ID to:
- Purchase alcohol or cigarettes
- Access hospitals
- Visit the post office
- Access federal courts
- Apply for or receive federal benefits such as social security or veterans’ benefits
The REAL ID Act of 2005 establishes minimum security standards for license issuance and production. The Act prohibits Federal agencies from accepting, for certain purposes, driver licenses and identification cards from states not meeting the Act’s minimum standards.
You will need to present the following documents when applying for a REAL ID:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal presence
- Proof of your full Social Security Number
- Two proofs of Tennessee residency
- You should also be prepared to provide documentation of any name changes that may have occurred. This may require presentation of multiple documents.
- Click here for the full list of Real ID required documents
You may upgrade your current Tennessee Driver License to a Real ID compliant license at the Roane County Clerk’s Office at the Courthouse in Kingston.
- You can obtain this service from 8:30 AM until 3:30 PM. Driver License and Real ID issuance is stopped at 4:00 PM daily.
- In order to ensure we are able to complete your driver license or Real ID transaction we request you be here no later that 3:30 PM.
- Most Clerk’s Office limit the hours available for this service for several reasons including:
- Due to the amount of time involved with copying and scanning the documents and producing a new photo most driver license transactions take a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Roane County Clerk’s Office only has one (1) driver license camera and one (1) employee available for these transaction throughout the day.
- We do utilize a “first come” number system when our office gets busy with driver license transactions. We will try to tell you the approximate wait time using the 20 minute per customer time frame when there are several customers in que ahead of you.
- We respectfully reserve the right to stop accepting applications for these services before closing time if the demand exceeds our ability to process all applications before our required daily submission.
- This will be particularly true as we get closer to the Real ID deadline of May 3, 2023 and our activity increases as more people decide to obtain the Real ID.
For access to complete Real ID information on The Department of Safety and Homeland Security website please click here.
First Time Applicants and New or Returning Tennessee Residents
The Clerk’s Office is not able to give written or physical drivers tests, give drivers licenses to new drivers, new residents to the state or issue commercial or specialty licenses including first time issuance of an ID Only license.
- First time Drivers’ License applicants must apply and test at a Tennessee Driver Services Center.
- New or returning residents holding a valid out-of-state driver license must obtain a Tennessee driver license from a Tennessee State Facility no later than thirty (30) days after establishing residency.
- All out-of-state driver licenses must be surrendered. Tennessee law does not allow a resident of this state to hold more than one valid driver license.
- New residents must provide two (2) proofs of their current valid Tennessee residence address as well as proof of citizenship or legal presence and Social Security Number.
- All new or returning residents must take a Tennessee vision screening at the driver services center.
- New or returning residents whose out of state license has been expired for more than six months must take the vision screening; Tennessee knowledge exam; and road skills test.
- If a new resident brings a valid, out-of-state driver license (or a certified driving record from that state showing the license has not expired), only the vision test is required.
- New residents from other countries are required to take full tests: vision screening, knowledge exam, and road skills test. They will be allowed to keep the license issued by that country.
- Click here for a list of acceptable forms of identification and proof of residency.
- REAL ID REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
REMEMBER: NO PHOTOCOPIES, FAXES, OR CARBON COPIES OF LEGAL DOCUMENTS CAN BE ACCEPTED.